Sunday, June 5, 2016



Why do I ask people about their religion? 


To boil the answer down to a simple one, it is because I don't wish to put people and patients into a state of spiritual strife. Or spiritual danger. If I mistakenly give people a plan of action that they later come to regret, I will feel like an ass.

My medical decision making can be precisely correct, scientifically sound, and delivered in a clear, compassionate, and skillful manner. Yet still it is possible to wreck someones life. I don't want to wreck anyone's life. From professional point of view it would make me a bad doctor. From a personal point of view I would feel like a jerk. I don't want to feel like a jerk.

How could a doctor create spiritual danger? It is remarkably easy. And it is sad to say but physicians don't get any education about spiritual issues. I think that leaders in the medical sciences want to say that modern medicine is "evidence based". Medical leaders want to be scientifically sound. They want all medical decision making to be factual. They want to be able to cite actual scientific journal articles to support one decision over another.

The older generation of docs used to complain bitterly about  this turn towards science, towards checklists, and away from the art of medicine. Older docs called it "cookie cutter" medicine. Or "recipe" medicine, or something like that.

A arrogant young medical doctor might scoff at the notion that a person's religious belief would interfere with sound medical care. A self important doctor might tell a patient that "there is only one way to do this, and it is my way. Religion has nothing to do with it.". This is spiritually dangerous territory. Even for atheists.

Let's give an example:

A newly married Catholic woman comes to my office to ask about contraception. She has strong faith. During the consultation I find that she has no knowledge of the Catholic rules pertaining to conception and contraception. If I didn't care for her overall well being I might recommend the birth control pill or an IUD. If I did this deliberately it is even worse. Catholics have some simple and important rules to follow when it comes to contraception. Catholic rules prohibit ejaculation outside the vagina. And even more importantly Catholic rules prohibit interfering with an embryo. If an embryo gets created, then it must be allowed to implant and grow. No one can take any action that prevents embryo implantation. Since the birth control pill will allow rare ovulations, there will be embryos created. But the birth control pill also thins the uterine lining. When the uterine lining is thin the embryo has nowhere to implant. So the embryo menstruates out. The Catholic theology is that an embryo is a human, And obviously no one wants to hurt an innocent human.

Notice that this is simply an extension of the right to life movement all the way back to sperm and eggs.

Personally I don't adhere to the notion that an embryo isn't human yet. I think embryos are human. There is no magical point of time when an embryo ceases to be inanimate, and suddenly becomes human. The embryo is and always will be human. It is silly to point out an event and say, now, the baby is human. Before, not so much. Embryos are constantly growing. Whether a person is pro-life or pro-choice, people have to get rid of such misconceptions.

Discussing these issues is important. These issues are deadly. Of life and death importance, Many gynecologists have been shot or bombed because of disagreement over these beliefs. Many people have died over this issue.

So yes, spiritual competence is an important skill for a physician to have. And when I ask you about your genetic heritage, ethnicity, and religion, I am simply trying to be a good doctor, and avoid things that might harm you. And if you don't tell me your religion, then I might inadvertently give you bad advise. My advise might be scientifically sound but spiritually wrong.

As an interesting aside, there are many times during consultations when people claim to not have a religion. They might even get annoyed by the questions. Many people claim to be atheists. But, many times, they are not. They are wrong. They are not atheists. What they really are is agnostic. When a person claims "there is no God", then they are an atheist. That is not so common. Many people really want to say, "I don't know if there is a God". That makes them agnostic.

For another example of spiritual danger, consider the Jehovah's Witnesses. Jehovah's Witnesses believe that they cannot take another person's blood into their bodies. If they do, they will not get to go to heaven when they die. Many people are flabbergasted when they hear that someone would rather die then take a blood transfusion. It is only comprehensible when you understand that going to heaven is for eternity, and our life here on earth is only temporary and short. No one wants to make a mistake that would cost them an eternity of happiness. So Jehovah's Witnesses would rather die than take a blood transfusion. So the standard surgical consent form now has a Jehovah's Witness clause. It is an answer to the question, "Will you accept a blood transfusion if it is necessary to save your life?". The question must be asked and answered. Because I don't want to destroy someones long term plans of eternal happiness in Heaven.

Another example is Ramadan. Many Muslim women want to fast during Ramadan. I can help them. There is some theological controversy about the fast in pregnant women. But if my pregnant patient wanted to fast, I will try give her good advice about how to keep it safe. But I cannot give this advise if I don't know she is Muslim. Ramadan starts today.

In some religions woman cannot be touched by men. Not even to shake hands. For these women, you will put them in a bind if you offer to shake their hand. Nobody wants to be rude by refusing. But nobody wants to violate their own beliefs either. Again, if I didn't know someone was of that religion there would be uncomfortable moments. Medical care requires physical examination, but does not require a handshake. So there is unnecessary stress over a handshake.

If anyone asks about me, I am a theist. I am not an atheist.

Thank you sincerely for reading.

Dr John W Marcus
89 North Maple Ave
Ridgewood NJ 07450

Blog is at doctorjohnmarcus.blogspot.com.



1 comment: