Thursday, November 28, 2013

People you would like to know:

It is now just after midnight on the beginning of Thanksgiving day. I am trying to catch up on my labs and reports for patients. 

I am looking at a report from a Neurologist consultation for a 26 year old nurse who has terrible migraines and some painful disk disease in her back.  So I am thinking of her personality and her character strengths. I know her well. 

She also has two small children that I have delivered for her. She is in the late stages of nursing her second baby now. 

Despite having these medical and life challenges, this is a person that I think that you would be glad to know her acquaintance. 

Think of her lifestyle: She is a nurse. This means she is dedicated to the proposition that other people need hands on care to improve their well being. She also has two small children, who obviously need her time. In addition to this, she has back and neck pain, and frequent migraines. 

Despite all of this, this person is never in a mood to be mean. She seems to always be in an uplifting mood. Her husband is the executive chef for a large corporation. He is a big guy, tall and substantial in size. He is similarly in a good mood. They are both busy in their life, but they get along very well, and their kids are doing well. 

It is people like this that make the world a better place. Both of them, the new mom and her husband, are the kind of people that anyone with any sense would like to surround themselves with. 

In my role as her personal physician, I am dedicated to helping her optimize her life. But for my sake, I am glad to be able to be there and do my best. I feel myself lucky to be able to be a big part of the life of people who give so much value to the world. 

I try to live my life in a way that is an example for other people. I try to do good deeds, because they come back 10 fold. I try to have good karma, because that reflects back on me as well. 

I think that many if not most people are really good for the world. The good people of the world, which is most of them, make the world a much better place for all the rest of us. I hope I am numbered among those of us who enrich the lives of others. I think I do. But ultimately others will need to judge me. And then I, like all the rest of us, will face my judgement day. 

Upon further reflection, I find that most of my patients are very good people in their hearts. Everyone has challenges, but most people enrich the world more than they take from it. 

So that is my Thanksgiving message on this Thanksgiving day. Among all of the turkey feasts, and pumpkin pie, I give thanks that there are so many good people in the world that enrich my life, and that allow me a position of honor to enrich their lives. 

Thanks for reading my blog 

Dr John W Marcus MD FACOG  
Obstetrics and Gynecology 
89 North Maple Ave 
Ridgewood, NJ, 07481 

Phone 201-447-3560 
Fax 201-447-3560 

Blog is at doctorjohnmarcus.blogspot.com 

Comments are welcome 

1 comment:

  1. Many thanks for your blog. The content is thoughtful and much appreciated. May i suggest a potential topic for a future blog post, the content of which is applicable to my own post-operative experience following a recent c-section?

    Pain is, subjective. In addition, some might argue that it falls exclusively under the umbrella of anesthesiology. However, pain management is also important to the obstetrician.

    From your experience, what are your thoughts on pain management not just in the case of the post-operative caesarean section, but also for the purposes of this blog, your thoughts and suggestions on pain management during labor?

    ReplyDelete